2013년 6월 27일 목요일

The Prophet

The Prophet _ Kahlil Zibran



<The Prophet> is a book like Bible, which gives us daily life lessons. Even though it has been quite a long time since this book was written, it can still be applied to the way we live and how we think.
There are many chapters, almost throughout the half of the book that we talked about during the class. There are many topics discussed, but the most impressive parts of the book were about ‘reason and passion’, ‘religion’, and ‘beauty’.
Reason and passion is the energy that drives us to live through our life. Passion should be driven by reason, and they should always be balanced. In most of the times, we think human beings and rational, reasonable beings. Actually, it is good that we live with a reason since we shouldn’t be swayed to often just by our emotions. For instance, if there is a conflict between two close friends, they should act upon the reason. If they react too emotionally, they will end up in a fight which might make their relationship irrevocable. Therefore, we should always have reasons inside our mind.
However, we cannot live just with a reason. We also need passion to make our live more energetic. Even though there is something that you need to do, if you do not want to do it, you cannot do it to your full potent. Passion is really important, and therefore we always should have passion to do something that you want, to actually enjoy that something you need to do. Therefore, if reason and passion is balanced, it will be very ideal.
This book <The Prophet> was a very religious book. The basis of the book was a strong belief in God. However, I don’t have a religion. I think that’s why I found it a little hard to find a common part with the book. Still, having religion can be effective a lot of times. If I have a dilemma according to my conscience, I think religion can show the right way. Also, religion will be effective when controlling oneself. If I have something difficult in the future, I might decided to have a religion, and depend myself to the religion a lot.
Beauty can be divided into mainly two beauties; outer and inner beauty. Most of the people, especially in Korea, people focus too much on the outer beauty. However, when we get to know people better and deeper, the thing that really matters is the inner beauty and the person’s personality. From now on, I should rather focus on the inner beauty than focusing on my outher beauty.

I think Kahlil Zibran’s <The Prophet> made me to look back at myself once more. It contained many valuable lessons which will also help me to walk the right path in the future.

0 개의 댓글:

댓글 쓰기